MMC to launch paywall
By Robert Cloud
One newspaper has served Waupaca for 165 years.
Known as the Waupaca Spirit, the original publication offered four pages of local news and advertising.
Over the decades, new publishers purchased the paper, changing its name from the Waupaca Criterion to the Waupaca Republican, until it finally became known as the Waupaca County Post in 1917.
Advances in technology also brought changes to the look and design of the paper.
Long, gray columns of text with tiny headlines were replaced with photos, which eventually became color. The number of pages and the number of subscribers grew.
Multi Media Channels purchased the Waupaca County Post in December 2012, along with other newspapers and shoppers in New London, Clintonville, Rhinelander, Merrill, Marathon County, Wood County, Stevens Point and Rhinelander.
MMC soon developed a mission to provide weekly news coverage in print and daily news online.